Saturday, February 3, 2018

To the Lighthouse

The long and winding road ... here I am alone on quiet Cloverdale Road.  The Boyfriend and Miss P are sick and couldn't do the ride.  I know what that's like, having been sick myself for the last week and a half.  Donny and the rest of the club members (including Ray!) are way ahead of me, of course.  But that's okay.  It's unbelievably warm here in  La Honda and Pescadero.  I'm remembering the fantastic weather The Boyfriend and I had as well last weekend in Big Sur.  We had a magical time cycling Highway 1 starting from Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park to Gorda, a sweet tiny town and the stopping point (the road is no more but will be one day).  We took hundreds of photos from our hike and biking adventures.  I couldn't figure out which photos to share or what to write; it was simply too overwhelming to capture in a blog.  We stayed at the Fernwood Resort, cheapest place in town.  It was nice.

Back to the present.  We started in La Honda by Jack's restaurant. I finally caught up to the gang for our picnic lunch at Pigeon Point Lighthouse!  From then on, I mostly was able to stay with the group.  I pushed myself a lot. 

Ha, that is what remains of the failed alien attack upon our shores.  Oh alrighty, if you look closely, you'll see a few Brussel Sprouts on the stalks.  This was on Bean Hollow.

Entering Pescadero soon after a short time on Highway 1.  Boy the day got warmer and warmer.  There were a lot of cyclists and motorcyclists taking advantage of the weather.  Can I just say that motorcycles are incredibly noisy and take away from quiet beauty of the area.

We breezed through Pescadero and continued climbing Stage.  Yay, we get to descend for awhile.  Boo, we have to climb some more.  We passed San Gregorio store and kept climbing Stage until it dead ends with Highway 1.  One of the fellas kept me distracted.  That really helped to keep me going. After Stage, we rode 8 miles on La Honda back to the start.  Nothing like fabulous weather and the beautiful Northern California coast to make you feel alive and happy.

Just the Stats:

45.87 miles
10.7 avg mph
33.5 mph descending
4 hr. 15 min.






No comments: