Friday, May 17, 2019

10 day Alaska Inside Passage on the Grand Princess

Monday, May 6, 2019

Oh hello.  Here I am aboard the Grand Princess, my first cruise experience.  The Boyfriend dropped me off. I had to hop out of his car since the traffic was horrendous, so, no teary eyed farewell.  I will be traveling alone (hmm, all by myself -- time to party!!) from San Francisco to Alaska's Inside Passage and back.  My captain John Harry Smith from Cheltenham, England informed us that the total distance traveled is:  3,193 nautical miles or 3,675 statute miles.

A view of San Francisco.  Boarding was incredibly well organized.  I had lunch with a widow from Vacaville whose husband was, wait, wait for it, yes, a fireman!  After lunch I proceeded to my stateroom, Emerald Deck 8 where I was greeted by my steward.  Each evening, he places chocolates on my pillow.  What can I say....

We all gathered around 4pm to set sail.  Already, the party has begun.  I'm dancing with a woman to "North to Alaska."  It's quite chilly but my belly is full of some alcoholic beverage that warms me up.  I have already forgotten my life outside this cruise.

The Golden Gate Bridge looms in the distance.  We had a delay to due to a freighter.  No worries, we continued dancing and drinking.

Whew, we made it under the bridge.  Into choppy weather the next few days.  I didn't need sea sickness pills after all. In the evening, I went to the Botticelli dining room to meet my companions. Several of them had done this cruise multiple times.  One woman fascinated me -- she was a retired police officer from the U.K. on holiday for 3 months.  She was 6'2 and was present for Princess Diana's wedding and funeral.  She only flies Quantas first class.  She bought us wine.  Many people bought me alcoholic beverages on the trip.  Nice.  I only went 3 times as I preferred doing the buffet and I quickly got over my fear of eating alone.  The food is frigging delicious and healthy -- seafood, vegetables, salads, poultry, and more.  Our crew is represented by 46 nationalities.  Wow.  They often work 9 months at a time.  I learned later that when we returned, they turned around and did the cruise again.  Omg.  There are approximately 2500 passengers, majority being Californians. However, I met people from New Jersey, Nevada, Minnesota, U.K., Australia, New Zealand, etc.  Until tomorrow....


No comments: