Thursday, November 16, 2006

Should I Stay or Should I go?




I awoke to overcast skies and the threat of rain. "Should I stay or Should I go? This indecision's bugging me" (The Clash). Off I went to bike Highway 9. I arrived to blue skies in Saratoga!

This time there were 62 men and 7 women. I was rather enjoying the view especially since The Boyfriend wasn't present. I looked at the men, sizing them up, noting their muscular legs. I looked at my 26 inch legs. I looked back at the guys' legs realizing that some of them had calves bigger than my thighs. I was beginning to feel small and intimidated until I realized that I have a bigger chest. Yeah, take that! I met a woman shorter than me. She was driving a custom built purple colored bike, smaller than my 44 cm. I felt big!

I was at the back of the group talking to a woman about something when 67 cyclists shot off. Yes, once again the group started without me. Hey, wait for me.... Yes once again, the unicyclists pedaled past me. Sigh.

There was some road work being done and the construction workers waved us along making sure that we were safe. As I passed the guy in charge, he asked if I was the last one. I believe I could hear snicker snicker. Sigh. I put on my Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) Sunset Boulevard face and replied, "Listen Mister, I planned it that way." I believe he got small before my very eyes.

I did the 6.8 mile climb, 2090 ft, 5.8% grade in 61 minutes which is impressive for me. Would you believe that some woman had the audacity to usurp my position of being the last woman to finish. The nerve!

Once again the event organizers, the volunteers, photographers and participants were fantastic.

Oh, before I forget, I received the distinction of "most improved rider." Of course when you're pretty much at the bottom, where else is there to go?

No comments: