Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Weekend Getaway

Sunday, Oct 9th and Monday, Oct 10th

So, I said to The Boyfriend, "Listen Mister, if we have to drive in separate cars to Napa Valley for a mini vacation, then you better make it worth my time."  I like to keep him on his toes.  After smooth sailing on Hwy 680 (well, some drivers irritated me to no end), we met at the Wine Valley Lodge, one of the few remaining affordable places in Napa.  The sun was hot, the day warm.

The BF swept me away, well actually I drove us to St. Helena to see a movie at the Cameo Theatre. 

Next, he wined and dined me at Market Restaurant in St. Helena.  We looked at a number of places but geez Louis, I am not paying $90 for steak.  I don't eat red meat, but heck if I did, I would have butchered the beast myself at those prices.  So far, on his report card, The BF is passing.  

Fast forward to the next morning.  We decided to do a 30 mile loop that took us from Mt Veeder (a climb in the woods) and onward into Napa Valley. The scenery was lovely, soothing and challenging.

A scene from Mt. Veeder before the descent.

Descending Oak Grade.

A quiet country road near Oakville Grocery.

Approaching the Silverado Trail.  It was a beautiful day weather wise.  Never been to Napa Valley in October.  Vines were dying while others still bore fruit, perhaps for a late harvest.  Too short a trip but definitely memorable thanks to The Boyfriend.  One of these days I may be kind to him.... We hope to return soon.

No comments: