Friday, March 30, 2018

Um I Did It

I can't believe it, a parking space in the Bald Mountain parking lot.  I'm finally going to hike Mt. Umunhum! Ooh, it seems so far away.

Signage letting me know I haven't gotten lost as I start off.  Always a good thing to know you're on the right trail.

My kind of trail with dangling limbs, shade and packed dirt.  I checked to make sure no trolls were beneath the bridge before crossing it.

Lookey, it's getting closer.  Not really.  I think I've hiked about .5 mile.  Already the temperature is heating up at 10am.

Yay, back in somewhat shaded area.  I came across hikers and a few mtn bikers as I continued on my merry way.  The climb is gradual unlike cycling up Mt. Um.  I came across the remnants of a house that belonged to a woman named Gwendolyn Scott.  Apparently she decided in the late 1800s to live in the woods by herself.

I'm bad.  I'm tough. Watch out aliens and trolls.  Actually I was sweating buckets and swatting insects.

Out in the open again taking in the sweeping views.

The end is near.  Now I only have to climb 159 steps to the top.  Wow, there were some elderly people on the stairs.  Good for them.  I learned that the military who were here until 1980 had a swimming pool.  I could use a swim about now.

Ta da. I made it. I saw a tiny snake and a pretty butterfly at the top. It took 1.5 hours to go and 1.5 hours to return; 7.4 miles altogether.  Yep, Um I did it.

No comments: