Saturday, January 10, 2009

Somewhere in San Jose



It was a dark and stormy ... no way Jose which is why I joined an ACTC ride today after lots of encouragement from my friend P to haul my tushy out of bed and into the saddle.

We started at the Berryessa Community Center with a route that had us meandering through San Jose neighborhoods at a speedy pace (and difficult for me to maintain), making our way over to climb Metcalf. The route included Yerba Buena Road, pictured above and below.




Yay yay yay, a stop. Boo boo boo, time to move on. Nice gang!






Shared details about Graham Baxter and Agile Compass tours with the man who took my photo.





Sigh, the gang exhausted me and I found myself having to walk up a good part of Metcalf. A guy in a pick up truck stopped to check on me. Such chivalry. Then again, it made me wonder how pathetic I must look for strangers to want to stop. Next, a guy on his motorcycle simply stopped and stared at me for a minute or two. Hmm, maybe I looked cute not pathetic?

One of the male cyclists came to fetch me and got me motivated to get back on the bike and finish the climb. He shared his tales about doing the Livestrong tour. What a nice guy.

In the end, we did 40 miles. Max speed 34 mph on one descent. My avg. speed of course plummeted from walking up Metcalf so we'll just skip that one. I enjoyed the ride and it was fun to bike with a group though I was mostly in the back and the last to finish. Shades of LKHC, eh.

No comments: