Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pedaling to Pleasanton

Another fantastic club ride from Milpitas to downtown Pleasanton via Old Calaveras, Calaveras and Sunol led by the dynamic duo of Miss P and Dr G! About the train, we'll get to that momentarily.

In another life, I once had friends who lived in Pleasanton. Their wedding reception, held at Wente Vineyards, still holds the title of Best Ever reception. The Bachelorette party involving the Chippendale men ranks high in my youthful indiscretions. Perhaps that is where my fondness for firemen took hold. But, I digress. As The Boyfriend (away for the rest of the month on a business trip) said to me throughout the week, "Focus Woman, focus on the biking."

Now about that train. What a thrill. We were already assaulted somewhat by a windy day and the train barreling through caused quite the uproar. The power needed for such a ride, the swelling of the engine, the blast of wind ... I practically had an -- oh wait, I digress. As The Boyfriend would say, "Focus Woman, focus on the biking."

Note to The Boyfriend who believes that I make things up about the men I encounter: Dr. G bore witness to the motorcyclist who waved to me and the male cyclists who checked up on me when Dr. G and I stopped briefly. Which reminds me, earlier in the week, the elevator repairman at work, desired to give me a hug for some reason. Really, I can not be responsible for the behaviors of others when they cross my path. But I digress. As The Boyfriend often says, "Focus Woman, focus on the biking."

While waiting for the others to catch up to us, Miss P, Dr. G and I watched a cow pee, another cow poo, and another cow carry two birds on its back. As Dr. G said, "And that concludes our nature program." Thank you Dr. G for riding with me.

Towards the end, Miss P. clobbered me on a descent (her speciality -- descents not clobbering me) but I felt much more stable and confident in my abilities to take on rollers and descents.

Just the Stats:

47.5 miles
3000 ft or so of climbing
10.6 avg mph
26 mph on descent
4 hr 28 min

No comments: