Saturday, August 24, 2013

Let's Talk Grades

Super club outing today, starting in Boulder Creek, with a delightfully cloudless blue sky and warm temperatures.  Our merry crew tackled many grades, including China Grade above, Highway 236, Jamison Creek, Big Basin State Park, and Empire Grade, amounting to 6,332 feet of climbing.  It was my first time doing China Grade, a lovely road, however, with pitches that set my heart racing.

Lookey, it's The Boyfriend trying to figure out where we are.  I'm going to take a wild stab here, go out on a limb and guess that we're at the junction of Hwy 9 and 236.  Of course, The BF wasn't lost and he kindly waited for me at various locations, keeping me motivated as we took on one grade after another.


Me: My, how erect those trees are. 
The BF:  Would you behave!
Me:  I have Miss P as my witness you know.
The BF:  Dare I ask for what?
Me:  Well, a motorcyclist offered to get his truck and take care of me when he saw me waiting at the top of Jamison Creek.
The BF:  Sigh.

I give myself a passing grade for getting up Jamison Creek.  I've struggled in the past but had no problem today.  I suspect my HBP drugs kicked in and I just floated to the top.  Well, it wasn't that pretty but close enough.  However, I didn't do the last grade, after Jamison Creek.  Had there been a barista serving coffee drinks and a sandwich stand with a character from the Peanuts gang, I might have preserved.  Still, I accomplished what I set out to do.  I'm very proud of The BF for doing all of the route.  And thankful for having Miss P and Dr. G. on the ride, as well.

Just the stats:

40.63 miles
4 hr. 33 min

No comments: