Sunday, August 24, 2014

Another movie location

 Tuesday, August 19th

I love Alfred Hitchcock movies.  Living in the Bay Area has allowed me to visit locations for The Birds in Bodega Bay and for Vertigo many locations including Mission San Juan Bautista and Big Basin Redwoods State Park. 

I remember being enthralled as a young girl with Hitchcock's North By Northwest.  First, because I was in love with Cary Grant and second because of Mt. Rushmore.  Sometime in the last year, I got it in my head that I simply must go to Mt. Rushmore.

I needed a Cary Grant stand in -- enter The Boyfriend -- to my Eva Marie Saint.  We'd make our own adventure in the Black Hills of South Dakota.


Speaking of adventure ... let's talk getting there.  Not a whole lot of options.  The flight to Denver was delayed an hour and that meant we'd miss our connecting flight to Rapid City and would probably end up spending the night in Denver, hoping to catch another flight the next day.  Turned out that all sorts of plane delays happened on account of the weather in other cities.  Our connecting flight was delayed 40 minutes!  And then, it was delayed some more.  And then some more.  And then some more.  3 hours in total for a one hour flight.  We arrived in Rapid City at 11pm, hours and hours after our original scheduled arrival.  Kudos though to United for keeping us informed and giving me 2500 bonus miles.  You know what, shit happens, right.

I met some wonderful women and we talked menopausal stuff and had ourselves a good laugh. I've never flown on a tiny jet plane and that was a tripper.  Lookey at the enormous car we were given by Avis.  We're so used to traffic congestion, hectic lifestyle and bouts of smog in the Bay Area.  Nonexistent in Rapid City or at least that was my impression. 

Next up, the vacation begins. 

1 comment:

Alison Chaiken said...

You should have travelled by train in homage to the Hitchcock movie. Have you ever attended one of the Hitchcock fests at the Stanford Theatre? Big fun, what with organ and all.

Have you ever seen _Frenzy_? It's a late, unappreciated masterpiece, set in London. My favorite, though, is _Strangers on a Train_. Highsmith's novels are themselves well worth reading.