Saturday, August 2, 2014

Summits and Plummets

Lookey, lookey, lookey what Miss P. gave me!  A velcro gadget thing to clip route sheets.  Oh, I do so love gifts.  Note to The Boyfriend:  Oh, I do so love gifts....


Miss P led a club ride today taking me to places I've not been before.  Oh, I do so love being taken to places I've never been before.  Note to The BF:  Oh, I do so love being taken.  Oh wait, to places I've never been before.

First, we climbed Kings Mountain in Woodside.  Done that but not in a long time.  I steamed up it, well, for the most part, racing (sort of) with this guy I did not know.

We went along Star Hill (up and down) and Native Sons (up and down) as well as tackling Swett and returning to Kings Mtn via Skyline and back to the start at the Pioneer Hotel.  I've never done Star Hill all the way nor Native Sons.  I lagged behind the group, having stopped to take photos and such, so, I was alone as I got to the bottom of Native Sons.

Let's set the scene, shall we.  We're in the middle of nowhere, deep in the woods.  I had just finished watching True Detective, a series about devil worshipers and killers in Louisiana.  I get to the bottom of Native Sons, a road that seems to get narrower and narrower.  Room for only one car for sure.

Remember I'm all alone.  I'm in the wrong gear and trying to figure out how to climb out of Native Sons.  Suddenly, a bitch and her dog, or should I say a bitch and her owner appear in a big pick up.  She starts saying blah blah blah to me.  I'm thinking to myself, "Hmm, I don't think my Tom Cruise grin is going to work with this woman."  I'm also wondering if she has a shotgun on the seat.  So I hightail it out of there.

I actually had to walk my bike since I was in the wrong gear.  I was looking for a flat enough place to get back on the bike and go.  When, this geezer of a guy appears in a pick up truck.  He starts saying blah blah blah to me and I'm thinking one word, mind you after the previous encounter, one word, wait, wait for it, Deliverance

Lordy, seriously, look at me, like I'm a threat, and the amount of time you wasted with your blah blah blah when I had every intent of leaving.  Sigh.

I loved this ride.  It was beautiful.  Thanks Miss P.  Oh yeah, for The BF, unable to join us -- this is for you.


1 comment:

Alison Chaiken said...

The same exact photo twice? Do you think we're blind? I demand a refund!