Saturday, September 19, 2015

Santa Cruz Mtns. Summits

After a week of nice weather, things began to heat up today.  Miss P offered the perfect club ride today, beginning with climbing Old Santa Cruz Highway.  Dan, Laurent, and Jim ventured off numerous times throughout our ride, circling us, passing us, dancing around us.  Me, I labored along, slow to start, enjoying the beauty of our redwoods.  Ahmed joined us!  Yay.  Poor fella getting over a bad injury.

Everyone left me in the dust but eventually I caught up as we climbed Mt. Bache/Loma Prieta.  Shame the camera wasn't able to capture the wonderful views we had of Monterey.  I amazed myself, well, when do I not, by getting up this sucker without much fanfare.  My back did twinge quite a bit but I said to myself, deal with it, you weenie.  Plus I remembered the fireman we passed on Summit road ....  Nice daydream.

I even managed to continue on to the dirt road on Mt. Bach before turning around to tackle our next climb.

We stopped at the Summit Store for supplies.  Geez Louise, already putting out Halloween stuff. I love this store though, wonderful produce, treats, and such.

Oh lookey, yours truly.  Next up, Wrights Station.  Still ahead of the heat, and appreciating the shade afforded by the redwoods.

Lovely descent into the woods of Wright's Station but sigh, have to climb out of it.  In the past, I've struggled doing Wright's Station.  Not today!

Last climb, Aldercroft Heights.  Well, I got there and I said, "Where are the firemen, where's my ice cream cone dipped in chocolate, I want some soda, why should I do this climb?"  Eh.  Actually, I really needed to pee, and that is what I did and then I said to myself, "I'm done."  Enough with the heat and thirst.  Wonderful club ride. 30.5 miles and lots of climbing.  I want some baked beans for my effort.

No comments: