Friday, May 18, 2018

Climbing in Cambria

Monday, May 14th

The Boyfriend and I arrived in Cambria after leaving Santa Barbara (we were there to see the Amgen TOC Gibraltar Road, another blog post).  My blog posts will be out of order, but, who cares, right.  Oh my god, it was stunning. This photo was taken from the car as we passed Cayucos on our way to Cambria.

We've just left Hwy 1 and are entering Cambria.  Lovely, yes.  Can't wait to start biking.

Given the lateness of the hour, we decided to do Santa Rosa Creek Road and Hwy 46 back to town. We were stunned that the hills were still green and flowers dotted the landscape.  Here's me conquering a climb.

Here he comes, conquering the same climb.   I managed to do most of this daunting bit on Santa Rosa Creek Road. We had the road mostly to ourselves.  Road repair continues and thus, essentially not accessible for cars.  Sections are quite smooth and better than past years.

We were quite pleased with ourselves tackling Santa Rosa Creek Road. Neither of us feel in top form yet we fared well.  Next up, Hwy 46.  I was nervous about the wind but it was not too bad.  The scenery was overwhelming.

Can you see me?  Omg, it was breathtaking.  Unfortunately for The BF, his newly purchased bike odometer failed and he could not record his stats.

Almost at the end of Hwy 46.  What a spectacular ride.  We were fortunate with the winds and temperature.  The evening was spent enjoying a great Mexican meal and purchasing Santa Barbara County wines at a local shop. If only we had more time for another ride ....  next up, seeing the Amgen TOC Morgan Hill time trial, of which I have no photos but I can say, it was an enjoyable end of holiday experience.

Just the Stats

31.19 miles
26 mph on descent (I was cautious)
9.4 avg mph
3 hrs 17 min.

No comments: