Saturday, June 23, 2018

Wandering Around

Miss P is away doing a ride elsewhere, The BF is in the U.K, and I didn't feel like doing any of the club rides listed.  I decided to wander around Woodside and Portola Valley by myself.  I started on Canada Road and was soon enveloped in a swarm of testosterone, also known as male cyclists.  There were a lot of riders out despite the temperature (climbing to nearly 100 degrees); turns out, there was some sort of organized tour going on, too.  Here I am about to descend Edgewood. 

Before I knew it, I was already headed back on Canada Road.  It's weird how sometimes it seems to take forever to get from point A to point B.  Not today.

I stopped to visit the Pulgas Water Temple.  It's been years since I've been there.  Beautiful as always.

Oh looky, guess who I ran into ...  it's rare not to encounter firemen when I ride.... oh, hello there.  Which reminds me, lots of cyclists said hi to me and even those in pelotons.  One guy was sweet enough to let me know my saddle bag was not zipped.  Amazing nothing fell out.

I descended Whiskey Hill and turned right on Portola til the end.  On the way back, I turned onto Westridge and meandered a mile or so.  On the way back, I turned on this street - Mapache.  It was fun.  Then I continued on Portola, climbed Whiskey Hill and back to the Pioneer Hotel parking lot.  By then, it was time to stop given the heat. Plus, my remaining water was warm.  Yuck.  I found it helpful to stop once in awhile in a shady spot, and let the sweat drip off.  As usual, not going to win any speed awards but I was pleased with my ride.

Just the Stats:

30 miles
11.8 avg mph
31.5 mph descending
2 hr  30 min.






No comments: