Saturday, November 3, 2007

Gearing Up



Did the Earth move for you, honey? If you were in San Jose on October 30, it sure did! After the 5.6 Earthquake, doing Week 6 Low-Key Hillclimb Welch Creek Road seemed almost anti-climatic. :)

Lots of banter on the LKHC listserv about gears and schmears, compacts, triples, cranksets, aftershocks, ratios, cadence, cows, and road surface. Speaking of bikes and gears, The Boyfriend informed me that my 2005 Bianchi Eros Donna was designed with me in mind. Somehow I don't think that's a compliment.



The weather today was absolutely delightful. My assignment as volunteer was to stand at the intersection of Welch Creek Road and Calaveras. I know, tough going but someone's gotta do it. As I waited on the side of the road, I met lots of male cyclists wondering what I was doing. I often wonder what I'm doing, too. There were numerous offers of assistance. Ah, chivalry. Keep it up. In the nearby field, I watched two cows get on their hind legs and lock heads and shove each other. All this entertainment and the event hadn't even begun.

Eventually, the gang sauntered over from the school in Sunol to the start. What a brave lot! When Adam honked his horn, some of them shot off at a furious pace (Hello Tim Clark). Made me feel small. Wait, I am small. I was impressed that the tandem couple was doing the ride today.



I wasn't able to watch the gang do the climb nor arrive at the top due to logistics. I hope a good time was had by all. Thanks to the photographers Kwan and Pat.

No comments: