Friday, November 27, 2009

Mt. Hamilton -- The Final Frontier


(photo by Josh Hadley)
Mt.Hamilton, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Low Key Hillclimbs. Its 9 week mission: to explore strange new climbs, to seek out new roads and new gradients, to boldly go where no cyclist has gone before....

I took it as a sign when Captain K told us to “haul our ass” up the mountain. And that I did along with 171 other LKHClimbers on a warm sunny Thanksgiving Day.
I met a guy around mile 9 who decided to push me up for 5 minutes or so. And now I know what it feels like to go 12 mph up an incline. Beam me up, Scotty, the rest of the way, please.

As I closed in on the finish line, I shouted, “Eh, Mister, here comes my ass!” Of course hardly a soul was around by the time I reached the top. Sigh.

Thank you P and D for encouraging me to do this climb and for being there at the top waiting. Thanks also to my other teammate R for turning around at mile 17 and climbing with me for a few minutes. Thank you Captain K for waiting for me to finish and for a wonderful line: We know it’s over because you’re here. And to H for recording times. And to M for riding down the mountain with me.

I finished 172 out of 172, climbing 18.4 miles (4300+ feet). Second highest turnout in the history of the LKHC! And yes, last again but my mom is still proud of me.

And so our 9 week mission comes to a close. Until the Mega Monster Enduro in February. See you there. Maybe I’ll come in second to the last….

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Way to go, Christine! I'm proud of you for doing the race and making it all the way to the finish.