Saturday, January 7, 2012

Cycling with the Social Climbers


What a blast joining the Social Climbers ride today, and with a start time of 10:00am.  We started on Quimby Road and over to Mt Pleasant, a new hill for me to climb.  Next we found ourselves in Alum Rock Park.  Another first for me and pleasing.  A young girl had a snake wrapped around her arm.  Too social for me.  Off we went to climb Sierra Road.  First time for me doing Sierra on what I still refer to as my new bike (Specialized Ruby Elite with the amazing SRAM gears) even though I bought it back in August 2010.  Where does the time go!  Wow, first time (I seem to be using first alot in this blog) I got up Sierra without struggle.  Thank you amazing gears.  I was able to have a conversation with a new club member while doing the climb.  That's a first.  Some youngish boys on mountain bikes gave me a thumbs up.  I felt like a Cougar.   

Alas, I didn't stay with the group because I never felt warm the entire ride; so, I went back down Sierra while they continued to descend Felter.   I banged it all the way back to the start over in the Evergreen area and I didn't get lost.  Another first.  I did stop once and surprise (not), a male cyclist appeared from nowhere to see if I needed assistance.  Hmm, I ignored (barely) his ripe masculinity.  Another first.  His presence, though, did light my fire, and finally I was warm....

Just the Stats:

28 miles
3 hrs
9.5 mph avg
27.5 mph on descent

1 comment:

Stephen C. Gruber said...

Christine,
I was wearing Woolistic (undershirt and jersey) and did not feel cold. Go to www.vintagevelos.com for information.