Saturday, September 23, 2017

Me on King Ridge

Thursday, Sept 21st

Oh boy, this was epic.  So, for today's ride, we were doing the Biggie -- King Ride, starting from Monte Rio, a 55 mile ride. 

At Fog Crest Winery, the day before, we read the description posted online.  It sounded frightening.  I wasn't sure I could do it.  Miss P and I discussed bail out possibilities if necessary.

This ride is part of Levi's Grand Fondo.  The Boyfriend has done it a few times.  He said it was hard but he thought I could do it.  The weather can be all over the map.  Luckily we had sunshine.  It was a bit chilly. Well, our group split early in the ride, with one group going the wrong way and my group (all 3 of us) going the right way.  As mentioned earlier, our route sheets were not exactly spot on.  We stopped to ask some bridge workers and a fireman at the firestation for directions.  And thanks to them, we headed the right way.  Unfortunately for Miss P and the others, they wasted time and energy going the wrong way.  They eventually got on the right track.

Leo, Molly and I stuck together, tackling the ups and downs of the course.  My legs were okay but boy my back ached.  While it was hard, it was not as hard as I expected and I managed to stay the course.  And boy was it worth it.  The views were spectacular.  Hauser Bridge was a mess.  I wish I took some photos but I didn't want to stop or get off the bike to do so. 

I plowed on in some state of delirium I believe.  And then I saw this and it was all worth it. 

I was high as a kite taking it all in. 

And then I was like, omg, I have to do all that?

And then I was like, omg, the wind.  Twice I had to stop and get off the bike to avoid being blown off a cliff.  Like I said, I was high as a kite, and I was screaming, "I am so not going to die after doing all this.  F--k you."  Cars were honking and cheering me on.  I was like, "Hey, how about stopping and taking me down instead...."

And somehow, I got down to Hwy 1 and passed Jenner, oh boy, did the cooking smell delicious at the roadside diner, and next, I turned onto 116 back to Monte Rio.

On Hwy 116.  Beautiful.  I had to pee so badly I didn't care if traffic went by ....  I got back safely to Monte Rio along with the others.  But we didn't know where Miss P was.  We thought she had abandoned the ride, so, we went back to the hotel.  She was not there.  We were anxious.  Omg, she did the ride all by herself!  Unfortunately she had worse winds than we did.  Ed and I drove back to get her. What a woman!  We all got cleaned up and had a fabulous meal at Stormy's.  It was an epic day.




No comments: