Sunday, September 3, 2017

Escape to Half Moon Bay

Excessive heat.  Yeah, tell me about it especially when you do not have air conditioning. I could not take another day of it, so, I got up bright and early to avoid the inevitable traffic jam, and plopped myself down in lovely Half Moon Bay.  Temperatures expected to be well below what I had been experiencing in San Jose.

I arrived at 9:30am, parked on a side street off Main Street in downtown Half Moon Bay.  The temperature made me shiver.  Divine.  What to do with myself all day, I mean, I'm not the kind of gal that can just hang at the beach all day.  So, I began to walk everywhere.  Beautiful artichokes in bloom!

I window shopped since most stores were not yet open.  When stores did eventually open, I was most happy in the 99 cent store.  I stopped at a Peet's and had coffee to warm me up.  How funny is that.

Advance warning:  Nudity.  I returned to downtown and came across this. Would love to see her at night.

Eventually I got around to walking to Half Moon Bay State Beach.  The sky was gray but who cares because the temperature was wonderful.  By parking downtown, and walking to my destination, I avoided traffic snarls, $10 parking fee and autos having to turn around and go to another beach.  Call me wise for knowing that I can not deal with that sort of stress; after all, I'm here to relax and escape the heat.

Hmm, what to do with myself?  Take a selfie.  The sky began to clear a bit.  I contemplated the meaning of my life.  That took about 5 seconds, so, I pulled out a book from my bag and read for awhile.

I watched the people below who obviously had the same idea as me.  Find comfort by going to the beach.  I marveled at the diversity of people present upon the beach.  I loved that.  Pakistanis in saris, elderly Vietnamese men, Latino families picnicking, and so on.  This is my America.

If only we could go into the water!  Much too cold.  All of a sudden, I felt terribly hot.  The peak of the day had arrived. I decided it was time to return home.  Even in the late afternoon, there was a traffic jam on Hwy 280 and 92 of cars wanting to get into Half Moon Bay to escape the heat.  I sailed through back to San Jose. Once home, my place getting close to 88 degrees, I realized that I will most likely need to visit my pool, but, along with the memories of a nice day at the beach. 

No comments: