Saturday, November 11, 2017

Pedaling Panoche in Paicines

Club ride today starting in Paicines to do Panoche Road.  Goodness, it's been years since I last did this ride.  Seems like just yesterday.  It was chilly and overcast but this quickly changed as the day wore on, to our delight.

Miss P and I arrived a wee bit on the early side.  By the time 9am rolled around, we were ready to go but our ride leader had yet to make an appearance.  Well, we took off anyway along with other cyclists, including those from Fremont Freewheelers.   They had also scheduled the ride.  The more the merrier, right.

What I love about this ride is that I expect to see dinosaurs.  Okay, I know they're extinct.  It just has that look and feel to it.  Okay, there weren't signs, windmills and cows back then.  Just go with it, okay. Meanwhile, sadly, I saw a few dead bunnies.  Yuck.  Here we are at the summit but we still have more to go before the turnaround point.

The ride was challenging because:  a) I've been sick; b) There were no firemen to gawk at; and c) No cutie fellas to flirt with.  The Boyfriend was traveling on business and couldn't join us either.

At mile 25, I'm like, um, so, where's Panoche Inn, the lunch stop and turnaround point?  Did it somehow move?  Or become extinct like the dinosaurs?  The road surface at this point was awful, too.  Jarring is a kind word.  A mile or so later, I came upon the rest of the gang and had a short break before turning around for the return trip. Guy was most gracious, biking with me for most of the way back.  Much appreciated as I tired.  He kept me going at a decent pace.  Miss P. was ahead of us.  We got back to the start and I was very happy that the ride was done.  Nothing particularly special happened on the ride.  But you know what, sometimes, it's a good reminder to recognize that you have your health, a beautiful landscape, and nice companionship. Be thankful.  I'm also pleased with my stats.

Just the Stats:

54.75 miles
33 mph on a descent
10.6 avg mph
5 hr. 8 min.

No comments: