Saturday, November 25, 2017

Fire Up the CO2 cartridge

For today's club ride in Morgan Hill and Gilroy, it was bikini weather despite the beautiful colors of trees changing as Fall descends upon us. I think it hit around 77 degrees.

Only in California -- Palm trees dotting a vineyard!  Here we are, or more accurately, just me, as I was incredibly slow compared to everyone else, on Watsonville Road.  Try as I might, I could not catch up to Miss P and the rest of the gang. I was also slowed down by lovingly admiring a peloton of male cyclists storming past me (still, they asked if I was okay... hmm) as well as some guys on motorcyclists.  I am easily distracted by the male persuasion.

More vineyards.  Our ride today encompassed Redwood Retreat, climbing Mt. Madonna as well as a couple of zingers Miss P suggested we do.  I finally met up with Miss P on Redwood Retreat and we climbed the challenging Mt. Madonna together.  Redwood Retreat was pretty.  Most of the ride, minus Santa Teresa, was lovely.  Santa Teresa is full of glass and potholes.

Right before we conquered the two extra climbs Miss P. suggested, I took a moment to enjoy this.  The hills are beginning to change to green.  As we approached the fancy neighborhood, I was reminded of the Amgen TOC Solvang time trial - breathtaking scenery and climbs.  This place though had street names like Bluebell, Strawberry and Daffodil.  Our two climbs involved Bluebell and Mantella, challenging but short and a great descent.

About 15 miles or so before returning to our cars, we stopped at the Morgan Hill Public Library because I needed a restroom.  Is this sweet or what! She is sitting on a mushroom.  As we left, all of a sudden, we heard a loud hiss.  Oh oh, something blew.  We stopped to inspect my front tire. Something odd happened, maybe due to the heat. The tube was coming out the tire!  Miss P. got the blow torch, oh alrighty, she let out the air of the tube and then fired up the CO2 cartridge.  We thought we were good to go.    And then, about 3 miles to the end of the ride, on Santa Teresa, my tire went flat again.  This depressed me to no end.  What to do, what to do. Another rider came to my assistance.  Plus 2 more male cyclists offered to help. I said, "Well, would you mind calling the limo service?"  We could not find the puncture nor any debris.  It was a mystery.  We pumped up the tire manually (who knows what the PSI was)  and I was able to return to the start.  I took it easy. Miss P came back to find me as she wondered what was what.  Sweet!   When I got home, I put the tube in the tub but still couldn't find a puncture.  I then pumped it up and could hear where the air was leaking.  The puncture was soooooo tiny.  I remembered what I learned in an HR class recently, try to laugh and be calm and think it through later and be thankful.  No need to get all stressed.  I am thankful to all who helped me out today. 

Just the Stats:

59 miles
33 mph on a descent
10.7 avg mph
5 hr. 28 min.






No comments: