Monday, November 20, 2017

Yay for Potato Chips

Saturday, November 18th

After The Boyfriend got us coffee from Bookworks on Lighthouse Avenue, we set sail on our bike ride.  Leaving the Inn, we saw a deer meandering through the neighborhood.  Sweet.  We relied on two websites (thank you!) to figure out routes -- Local Rides from Velo Club Monterey and Top 10 Bike Rides in Monterey.  Of course we had to include 17 Mile Drive but we were looking to do something a little different having done rides in the past together as well as for me, with our bike club ACTC.  See here in 2010 and here in 2013 and here in 2007.

Wow, the sea was so blue.  The BF put together a route that included 17 Mile Drive as well as the Chacagua Road Loop in Carmel Valley Village.  It was perfect cycling weather and traffic was fairly minimal.

17 Mile Drive is one scenic photo op over and over; I present the iconic Lone Cypress Tree. 

Somewhere in the Del Monte Forest.  I just love that name!

The beach in Carmel-by-the-Sea.  While The BF took a bathroom break, I lovingly gazed at male surfers changing into their clothes ... a most pleasant sight.  But I digress.  Off we went, leaving 17 mile Drive and the quaint downtown to Rio Road, onward to Carmel Valley Road and to Carmel Valley Village.

There's The BF somewhere on Carmel Valley Road.  By the time we reached Carmel Valley Village, he made a strategic decision to curtail our planned route and head back to base camp (aka our lovely inn in Pacific Grove).  Not like I was going to argue....  And let me tell you, I was zapped energy wise.  Weenie Woman was dreaming of a glass of wine and bon bons and wondering why no firemen had appeared like they tend to do.... Returning back on Carmel Valley Road, I was wiped until I stopped at a deli (by the way, the entire route has plenty of places to stop for food and drink) to buy a bag of potato chips.  I sat on the roadside feasting on the chips.  It did wonders.  The BF circled back to find me, worried that I had a flat.  Nope, just stuffing my face with glorious chips.  It was a super ride.  We were both pleased.

Just the Stats:

50.76 miles
10.7 avg mph
31.5 mph on a descent
4 hr. 44 min.





No comments: