Saturday, December 30, 2017

Baths Time

Every Saturday for months, no actually years, I go for a bike ride, usually with my great club.  Not today!  I needed to do something different.  I chose to hike Land's End and visit Sutro Baths.

The bad air quality while driving on Hwy 280 was sadly noticeable.  But, approaching the Half Moon Area was sweet as I was shrouded in low lying fog, making for a romantic moment.   I arrived early at the Land's End Lookout parking lot in San Francisco in order to secure a spot. An icy wind greeted me and I almost got back in my car to go back home.  But, wait, wait for it ... oh yes, there they were, hunky firemen dealing with a fallen tree. Oh my, that got me warmed up quickly.... The shot above is show that I pushed myself, a little bit, in tackling my vertigo.

I contemplated calling this particular blog entry, "How I survived stair walking."  Omg, there are a lot of steep stairs to climb.  You think you're in shape and then you meet a stair....

This is a beautiful hike.  I only did some of it, turning around when the Coastal Trail meets the road.  On the return, I visited the Sutro Baths, of course.  I learned something -- back in 1897, John Harris, a black man was not permitted entry despite a newly enacted law that was meant to protect people of color (Dibble Civil Rights Act).  Learn more here.

By the end of my hike, it had warmed up considerably.  The sky tried to be blue.  I'm glad I got my weenie self out of bed this morning though it'd been even sweeter if I had a chauffeur to drive me.





No comments: