Saturday, December 9, 2017

Um, you know

It was 43 degrees this morning but the day promised warmer temperatures and as long as one wore wool, then, a bike ride seemed possible.  The Boyfriend and I agreed to skip a club ride doing Mt. Diablo, preferring instead to have another go at climbing Mt. Um, this time from Hicks West.  Here's me at the intersection of Mt. Um and Hicks, proud that I got up Hicks without having to walk!  Of course that meant the rest of the ride would be exhausting but still, I relished the moment.

There goes The Boyfriend.  He too felt the sting of this climb combined with Hicks but he still steamed ahead of me.  I had to stop a few times, first to enjoy the scenery but mostly to take a break.  We encountered only a handful of cars and that was appreciated.

On and on I went getting closer to the top.  Along the way, I chatted with a female jogger as well as a few male cyclists -- I don't think I looked my best, I mean, let's face it, I was sweaty, snot was probably coming out of my nose, and I was drooling at their fine physique.... still they provided encouragement....

On and on I went taking in the stunning vistas.  Alas, today, we felt the air quality was poor and I do believe it had a negative impact on our stamina.  Sure, Hicks took a bite out of me, but, I felt off the entire time.  Still, I love this climb.  It's quiet, scenic and calms the soul.  Though, I was surprised by the whirring sound of a helicopter circling for a bit but it soon disappeared.

I had about another half mile to the top when I came across The Boyfriend coming down.  I was done.  I was okay with turning around; there'll be another day to make it all the way to the top.  We had amazing views including seeing the coast and Mt. Hamilton. 

Look at this photo.  Puts things in perspective.  A beautiful 30 mile ride and in December.  I look forward to returning when the hills are green and the air a bit cleaner.  Meanwhile, a great ride that fired both of us up.  I'd rather be doing this then stuck in traffic or holiday shopping!






No comments: