Thursday, December 28, 2017

Um, It Didn't Happen

I planned to hike Mt. Um today, figuring there'd be no crowds on a weekday.  Driving Hicks and Um was more exhausting than cycling those roads!  I listened to a discussion about lizards, dinosaurs and birds on public radio.  Wow, there are thousands of lizard species.  That'll sure come in handy at the next cocktail party I attend.

The Bald Mountain parking lot was full.  No! Change of plans.  I decided to explore Sierra Azul instead.  And then, my life was shattered when I learned, "There is no poop fairy."  No!  Say it isn't so.

I chose the Woods Road trail because, I don't know, I was expecting woods, right!

Oh sure, go ahead and taunt me Mt Um.

Wow, I'm lost in a forest. 

Loving the wooded forest ... approaching Yellow Kid trail.  I know the drill by now ... there isn't going to any yellow kid anytime soon.

Oh sure, go ahead and taunt me some more Mt. Um.

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." That's the correct quote; I know because I'm a librarian.

Had I read the map correctly, I believe that if I had gone in the opposite direction, I would have eventually got on the Barlow trail and that leads to the Mt Um trail.  Maybe I would have seen some trees, too.

I did see a few mountain bikers and hikers.   But no poop fairies since I now know they don't exist.  Next, they'll be telling me that there are no aliens either.  After 3 miles, due to all the excitement (not), I was done.  I will get up that mountain one of these days. Or as Scarlett O'Hara said, "After all, tomorrow is another day!"

No comments: