Monday, December 25, 2017

Merry Christmas Montara

Here we are just about to drive through Tom Lantos Tunnels near Devil's Slide.

Where to begin; every view was scenic!  We parked at Gray Whale Cove parking lot to begin the 7-9 mile hike up Montara Mountain.

As you can see, the weather was not stellar, another soupy day in the Bay Area but that didn't stop us!  Despite the color and the gloom, and not pictured here, we did see the Farallon Islands and Half Moon Bay.

As we climbed and took in the views, we met mtn bikers and hikers, all who wished us a Merry Christmas. 

We met a guy dressed as Santa Claus.  I would have liked to sit on his knee.... Wow, there were some difficult sections of the trail and I have a few moments of vertigo.   I suspect tomorrow my legs will be screaming, too.  Glad I brought the walking poles.

Did you know there's a company that sells scones and calls itself Sconehenge. Omg, that's too rich.  Contemplating the light, we realized we wouldn't make it all the way up the mountain, plus a cold wind hampered our hike.  Still we managed to do 5.2 miles.  I already know that I must return on a sunnier day and maybe I'll sing, "Go tell it on the mountain."  Once again, another wonderful Christmas hike, a tradition I enjoy and appreciate year after year.

No comments: