Monday, July 23, 2007

On and On

That's me taken a few years ago but it's the same outfit I wore Saturday as I biked around the Bay. The Bay always has a calming effect on me. I got to race a train while on the Bay, well sort of, and once again, on the way back. The Bay showed signs of a dry winter and there was a lot of yellow colored algae as well. I managed to do 25 miles in 2 hours.

Sunday, The Boyfriend was keen on doing Mt. Hamilton. Naturally I was keen on being lazy but I agreed to go even though I knew that I wouldn't make it to the top. The day was very clear, affording us views of Lick Observatory and of the valley. UC Observatories has wonderful hamcam shots.

Taking Stephen Bishop's song completely out of context but how I often feel when attempting Mt. Hamilton or Henry Coe:


On and on...
I just keep on trying
and I smile
when I feel like dying
On and on...

After 2 miles, my hair was soaked and I wanted to call it a day but I kept plugging away and I was rather pleased that I did 11 miles with an average of 7.1 mph before having to stop on account of the polka dots I kept seeing everywhere. Some people see stars when they're dizzy. I see pink and purple polka dots. As I waited for The Boyfriend to come down the mountain, I contemplated Aristotle's 19 syllogisms that I'm reading about in a book about logic and the human mind. Fascinating read but .... Naturally my mind drifted to the shirtless runner with the tattoo on his chest who smiled at me yesterday as I biked along Guadalupe River Trail. Then there was the ranger in uniform who opened a gate for me. I bet the writer of the book I'm reading would have a field day with me.

The Boyfriend was delayed a bit as he encountered some people who recognized him and wanted to take photos with him. Oh, the life of a celebrity.

The best part of the day -- the french fries, hot and salty from Johnny Rockets. I wish though that I had gone all the way because the prettiest part of Mt. Hamilton comes after those 11 miles. Another time when I feel I can go on and on.

No comments: