Monday, July 4, 2011

My First Time

Another hot day here in the Bay Area; tomorrow reaching 100 in some cities. Today was about celebrating the 4th of July cycling with club members.


First though, Pancake Breakfast with the club. The Boyfriend is shaking his head over there in Tuscany wondering where does it all go. In my tummy, Mister.




I, Miss P and Dr G did another Donny ride from the church in Campbell over to Montebello. I knew I would not be able to do the entire route which also included Stevens Canyon, Redwood Gulch, Hwy 9 and Bohlman. The heat was intense. I finished the climb up Montebello 5 minutes slower than last week (65 minutes). Along with fantasizing about beverages waiting for us at the top. Not gonna happen. Talking to this male cyclist:


He: Shall I order room service

Me: Only if you indulge me

He: You strike me as someone who should be indulged

Me: Well ... yes.


Alas, there was no room service waiting for us at the top. I snapped a few photos of Miss P and then we parted ways (after she showed me where to get water at the base of Stevens Canyon).


Despite Miss P giving me explicit instructions as to how to return to the church on Hamilton and Leigh in Campbell, I deviated. I like to say "deviated" instead of I blew it and got lost.


I found myself on Hollenback/El Camino in Sunnyvale. I met a fella. Geez, really, you say. It just so happened he lived in Campbell and told me how to get back (Matilda over to Stevens Creek where Apple Computer is, then to Winchester and finally Hamilton).


And then, the unexpected happened. What I dread. A flat tire.


I knew with my tank tires that I might be able to pump the front tire and get by before the flat really set in. That worked for about 2 miles. What to do when you have never changed a flat by yourself and you are in Sunnyvale!


My options:


1. Call The BF in Tuscany and tell him to come get me. Not going to happen.

2. Use the mobile to call your friends. They are all out biking. Not going to happen.

3. Take the bus. Not going to happen because you forgot to bring money. Dumb dumb dumb.

4. Walk back. Not going to happen with the psoriatic feet.

5. Change the flat. Not going to happen with the arthritis in the hands.


Well, of course, having contemplated said options, I knew I had to change the flat. Okay people, I have no recollection of what I did and whether or not it was kosher, but, I changed the frigging flat in 10 minute! No doubt the lessons given by The Boyfriend paid off. He's quite the task master.


The tire pressure though was at 40 psi as I was afraid to use the gas cyclinder so I was stuck with the low pressure. There was a gas station across from Apple Computer on Stevens Creek but I could not figure out how to get the air into the tire. Sigh.


Let me tell you, the cars on Stevens Creek got out of the way as I made my way back to the church in Campbell. I must have looked determined, as in, don't mess with me, Mister. Even with a tire of 40 psi.


Being the 4th, I am reminded of the freedom and peace I have in my small corner of the world. I am now celebrating with lots of liquids and happy to be home safe and secure. One day I hope this is the same for everyone. Happy 4th of July to you!


Just the stats:


42 miles

28 max

10.5 mph avg

3.59 hrs (the flat, and low tire pressure)

No comments: