Sunday, December 22, 2013

She Danced with her Nutcracker

Oh my gosh, I'm going to the ballet. What would the Christmas season be without seeing a fresh version of the Nutcracker by Ballet San Jose.

That's about as much as I can show you due to copyright laws and such.  Spectacular scenery and costumes.  A subdued version, focusing more on the E.T.A Hoffman fairy tale.   I appreciated this take rather than the typical showy production.  It was elegant.  The snow flurries and snow flakes scene was out of this world.  I believed the dancers were snow flakes and the dry ice/fog machine blowing onto the stage and into the orchestra pit was magnificent.  By the way, go Symphony Silicon Valley for its wonderful performance. 


I cried at the end.  She's waiting for her Prince.  In her beautiful tutu.  And in the back of the stage, the Nutcracker awaits in silhouette.  How haunting and oh so, french!  Not sure about a happy Hollywood ending.  Fantastique.  Go Ballet SJ!!

No comments: