Monday, July 21, 2014

Road Trip!

Friday, July 18th

Months ago, when Miss P. suggesting doing the Fall River Mills Century, I was like, "Yeah babe, let's hit the road."  Girlie Road Trip, my first ever, taking my Mom's car.  As some of you may recall, my mom gave me her car back in November and I got a Kuat hitch rack, specifically for future bike road trips.  As some of you also know, my mother died May 1 after living with brain cancer for 14 months.  My mother loved to travel. I honor her by seeing the world in her car with my friend, Miss P. 

At a highway rest stop, we met other cyclists also on their way to Fall River Mills to do the century.  Ha ha.  Our drive went smoothly and we arrived in the late afternoon.  Fall River Mills has a population around 600+.  We found the fairgrounds to register and we decided it was easier and safe enough to bike to the start on Hwy 299 Sat morning.  The woman who took our details was the owner of the Fall River Mills hotel.  She was originally from the Bay Area. Love the whole small town feel.  We ate dinner at her hotel restaurant.  This is the 20th year for doing this century ride.  Probably only 300 riders for this year's event.   We learned all this because we met this lovely gentleman who is the town's historian.  He was probably in his late 70s and full of a lot of local color, thus adding to our wonderful experience in FRM.  We breakfasted with him our last day and he gave me a local brew to give to The BF.  These are the moments that make such road trips wonderful.  Thank you Don.  And thank you Mom. 

No comments: