Saturday, October 4, 2008

Montebello LKHC


Preface:
As some of you know, what I see during a cycling event bears little resemblance to what others experience.
Acknowledgements:
Thank you Dan, volunteers, and photographers. Also, great to see both regulars and new faces attend. Lastly, I'd like to thank myself for showing up.
Prologue:
Oh the drama -- would we be able to embark upon the first climb (results and photos) of the 2008 Low Key Hill Climb series? Would we "Get over It" if we didn't?
In the Beginning:
Woman: What's your name?
Me: Christine, aka the weenie woman who has the distinct honor of always finishing last.
Woman: Oh, I know who you are!
Me: Sigh.
Volunteer: Oh, a librarian! Will you be reading a book on the way up?
Me: Probably get through an entire 800 page Russian epic given the speeds of years past....
Joke of the Day:
Volunteer: You know, we can take your saddle bag to the top for you.
Me: Yes, that's sure to make all the difference. [nearby people laughing hysterically].
At the start:
Man: I like starting at the back of the pack.
Me: We get to look at everyone's tushies!
Man: Best seat in the house.
Middle:
Panting like a German shephard though not with my tongue hanging out, I climbed, mostly alone, until I came upon the cute AT&T guy repairing a line. Naturally, I had to stop for a moment to admire the view. The Boyfriend, also on this ride, is probably shaking his head as he reads this. Focus woman, focus to which I'd reply, "It's not about the bike, it's about me, me, and me flirting, I mean, socializing.
With about a mile or so to go, a steady rain began to fall covering the hairs on my arms in a glistening mist, much like fine droplets of dew settling on flowers. At the same time, I said to myself, "What is this -- a wet t-shirt contest? Cyclists began to descend saying nice things to me. Thank you.
End:
I was the last to start but not to finish, thanks to the boot camp (I mean biking holiday with The BF) from the previous week. OMG.
Epilogue:
"Get over it." That we surely did. Until next time....

No comments: