Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 1 - The Heat is On



Sunday, August 30th
Tour of Southern Utah with Planet Ultra
St. George to Carmel Junction via Zion National Park

Arrived late Saturday evening to 104 degree weather after driving from Northern California beginning Friday mid day. In the evening, meet up with some of the group -- 20 of us; most from Southern California and I learn quickly that I'm in competition for being the slowest. Some things never change. Sigh. We have one tandem with us. Interesting and lovely bunch of cyclists. One guy originally from Poland, another from Austria, a local boy from Los Altos Hills, and one from Canada who is doing a John Steinbeck tour. Our tour leader asks that we all start off together the first day at about 8:30am.

The Boyfriend wakes me up at some absurd hour. Hello, we're supposed to be on vacation! I think about firing him as The BF but I refrain. We began our journey to a nice temperature of about 75 degrees. Along the way, I get honked at, waved at, and wooed. Some things never change. :) At this point, The BF decides to accompany me.




As the day progresses, so does the heat and the heat does not agree with me. My arms go numb. My feet and hands swell. I turn into the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I get a heat rash on my leg. But the scenery overshadows. Above is The BF. I have the first of my usual blood sugar plummets and bike at about 8 mph on a flat stretch for a time. This is when I appreciate that The BF is with me. But I finish.
Stats:
70 miles
33.5 max
11.3 avg.
6 hrs biking
Yes, I am the last to arrive .... a recurring theme.

No comments: