Monday, September 15, 2014

Eastern Sierras - Devil's PostPile & Lake Mary

Sunday, Sept 7th

Today's outing, starting once again on Main Street in Mammoth Lakes at the Best Western, took us to the geologic wonder known as Devil's Postpile National Monument (established in 1911) and considered one of the world's finest examples of columnar basalt (good to know for cocktail chitchat). 

It was stunning but our ride of 41 miles and 4600 feet of climbing afforded us with many other impressive scenes of nature. 

Some club members were staying at a lodge and had treats waiting for us during our ride.  How marvelous.  Speaking of treats, not 5 minutes after The Boyfriend left me as we climbed out of Devil's Postpile (a long slug of a climb), a mtn. biker came upon me and told me that he liked watching me swing and sway on my bike, dancing away to the music on my iPod Nano. 

Another stunning view from the Crystal Crag Lodge.

Stark but still beautiful at Horseshoe Lake.

Horseshoe Lake.  Yes, once again, I lagged behind everyone else but it didn't matter thanks to the generosity of the club members hosting the party at the Crystal Crag Lodge and the breathtaking scenery.  Occasionally I stumbled upon the group and that was swell.  The Mammoth Lakes area is simply beautiful. 

No comments: