Thursday, September 13, 2018

Rockin' on Rock Creek Road to Mosquito Flat

Thursday, September 6th

Today, we climb lower and upper Rock Creek Road, the highest paved road in California, to Mosquito Flat (elevation 10,220 ft).  We started at 4,674 feet.  By mile 10, we were at 7,000 feet.

The Boyfriend decided to follow me the entire way, mostly to make sure I did not meet any firemen or other fellas ....  Back in 2014, Miss P and I did this route along with Crowley Lake, and what would become known as The Real Ride, since we were the only ones who completed it.  At the time, there was construction going on so many of the cyclists turned back but by the time, she and I got there, the road was open.  It was legendary, we were heroines....

The weather was vastly different than previous attempts; not nearly as chilly and that was a good thing.  On and on we went with most of the gang passing us since I'm slow.  But, I am the little engine that could....

The BF tried to be sweet and encouraging, but, I was like, "Shut the f--- up."  Oh, I was simply dreadful. He's special to put up with me.  Then again, I'm angel and he should.  Ha ha.

Almost at the top.  I'm sorry I didn't take more photos to show how the scenery changes.  As we neared the summit, the rest of the gang came down.  We waved and they shouted, "You're almost there."  Yes, I know.  They went to eat at the Pie in the Sky place.

We made it!  Alas, disappointment because there was no sign that said, "Hey Christine, you climbed to 10,220 feet."  Seriously, no sign, no indication about this being the highest paved road in California.  It took forever to climb upper Rock Creek Road (10 miles) and 16 minutes to come down!  42 miles with an avg of 7.8 mph. and 6,098 feet of climbing.  Not bad for the weenie. We met up later with the gang at a different location for Happy Hour. For our last evening here in Bishop, we ate at an Italian restaurant with Thomas. 

No comments: