Monday, September 10, 2018

Taking on Tioga Pass

Saturday, September 1

Our Eastern Sierras adventure begins, starting at Whoa Nellie Deli, at the corner of Hwy 395 and 120 in Lee Vining. 

The climb up Tioga Pass (in the Sierra Nevada Mountains) starts at 6,843 feet and reaches 9,943 feet upon the entrance into Yosemite National Park in approximately 12 miles.  The temperature can vary from the 40F to 70s this time of year.  I needed to wear my woolies for some of the ride.

By the time I reached the entrance into the park, I was feeling the effects of altitude.  I didn't have the energy to continue the 8 miles to Tuolumne Meadows.  The Boyfriend, Guy, David and Steve did; though Guy apparently struggled.  I know I certainly felt dizzy and off balance.  By the way, there's a $20 entrance fee into the park for cyclists. 

Why do it?  Because it's stunning and worth the challenge.  Later, I met some fellas on motorcycles who were impressed. 

The descent can be tricky as some parts are exposed without railing.  I freaked a few times, and had to go very slowly.  Cars by the way, are patient.

The last time we did this, The BF got caught in a sudden downpour while descending.  This time, we had perfect weather with only a bit of wind at the top.

It was tough but I loved every minute.  We got to enjoy Tioga Pass again (in a car) when we left a week later.  We were going to return home via Sonora Pass but it was closed due to a fire. 

No comments: