Monday, September 10, 2018

The devil is in the detail - Devil's Post Pile

Monday, September 3

We arrived in Mammoth Lakes yesterday after our lovely June Lakes ride.  Slowly, our gang of cyclists grows. We met up for a great happy hour at Slocums, serving the best appetizers at incredible prices, and for which we would return again.  After a night of merry, we embarked on today's ride doing Devil's Postpile.

It was much warmer than when we did this back in 2011 much to our joy!  Believe me it makes all the difference.

We set off from the hotel at an elevation of 8808 feet.  Our new companions professed they were slow, ha ha, not so, they soon shot off ahead of us, but, we did eventually overtake them.  Though I will confess, I ended up being the slowest rider on this trip, as is always the case....

And now, we're at 9265 feet before descending into Devil's Postpile.

I love lakes.  I certainly felt the altitude again but continued on because I'm the little engine that could.

The Boyfriend charging ahead, all manly.  We noticed the clouds coming in.  At first, white and fluffy.

Ah, Devil's Postpile, a spectacular site to behold.  As we descended, the pretty puffy clouds turned ugly.  Having been caught last time back in 2011 in a rainstorm, we opted to skip Lake Mary, the second half of the ride. So our ride shortened to 27 miles and for me, done in 3 hrs and 15 min.  You might think 27 miles is nothing but believe me, at altitude, it's a big deal.  We were pleased with what we accomplished and ready to meet the others for Happy Hour.

No comments: